Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By HelenTheHero
#152529 Ah, I see. I was looking through Ferrothorn's moves and saw Explosion, and I had a battle plan in my head that when things started going bad and Ferrothorn was going to be KOed, I might as well use Explosion to damage the other team. What about replacing Stealth Rock and Explosion then with Bulldoze and Rest? Finally got a Relaxed Ferroseed as well, so I can start EV training it. I think I will do your advice for the HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs so I can have this bulky, sometimes trolling Ferrothorn that will direct attention away (hopefully) from the other Pokemon as they attack the other side. I added Rayquaza also just because I thought "Huh... I have one anyway... meh, I'll add it!" and I will probably go with Noivern or Hydreigon, seeing as I recently got a Deino from the GTS.

By Some Body
#152532 You've been unclear this whole time about which battle format you're aiming for, so I'm assuming you want doubles based on your previous post.

Explosion can work on some Pokémon, but Ferrothorn is just too slow and not strong enough to make good use of it. You're better off just letting the opponent KO you and possibly take Iron Barbs (and perhaps Rocky Helmet) damage, or even waste the opponent's moves with Protect while your other Pokémon takes advantage.

Rest makes you asleep far too long to be useful, especially with the fast-paced nature of double battles. If you want some recovery, Leech Seed and/or Leftovers are much more useful.

Bulldoze has minor uses in lowering opponents' Speed, but comes with the major drawback of you needing to have a partner immune to Ground or using Protect in order to make it work, or else your other Pokémon will also suffer the lowered Speed and negate any benefits of the move (don't expect it to do any sizable damage and definitely don't expect Ferrothorn to outspeed anything even with Bulldoze). There are also many common Pokémon in doubles that are airborne, further reducing its utility.

You may think Rayquaza was just thrown in, but the mere fact that it is allowed in the battle format you are intending to participate in changes everything. If you're allowed to use Rayquaza, your opponent is therefore also allowed to use Rayquaza and any other similar legendaries, which will likely make short work of your team if you don't also use such Pokémon.
By HelenTheHero
#152544 Yeah, Doubles is all I really do with the Battle Spot. What about a move for Ferrothorn then that is a Rock type that can hit multiple targets? I would say Rock Slide, but it can't learn that. What about Thunderbolt to counter Flying types? Protect is probably better also, but it wouldn't help Ferrothorn regain health. Of course, I really like the idea of a Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet combo, and I will probably use it.

Also starting the EV training on Whismurs for HP, and getting Sp. Def, Defense, and Attack with the ST.
By Some Body
#152545 In Doubles, Protect is far more important than just stalling for Leftovers recovery (which you aren't using). To put things simply, if you think your opponent wants to attack Ferrothorn, you can use Protect and waste that Pokémon's move for the turn, potentially allowing your other Pokémon to cripple/KO that threat to Ferrothorn.

Don't even think about Thunderbolt. Ferrothorn's Special Attack is laughable.
By HelenTheHero
#152640 Okay then. :P Slowly training this Ferroseed. What would you recommend then as the fourth move if Power Whip, Gyro Ball (or Flash Cannon maybe), and Protect are okay.
By Some Body
#152642 For the same reason as Thunderbolt, don't use Flash Cannon. I put forth Leech Seed before, although that would require you to rebreed Ferroseed if it didn't already have the move as it is an egg move. Alternatively, something like Thunder Wave can be used for some paralysis support.
By HelenTheHero
#152644 Ohhh, definitely Thunder Wave. I love using Status Moves in my team, although in my Story team (that's what I'm going to call my original one) only Dragonite and Nidoking had them. I find Paralysis to be a life saver, don't know how I didn't notice that Ferrothorn could learn it. Shame about Leach Seed though, seeing as I don't want to find another Relaxed Ferroseed... that... took... forever.
By HelenTheHero
#152647 Nah, I think that the current planned move set is good. Gyro Ball is a good Steel type move I see used often, Power Whip gets STAB from Ferrothorn, (I need to learn what STAB is, I assume it just means the move is stronger for that Pokemon.) Protect to not only make this the Troll/Tank in the team, and Thunder Wave to aid with that. I could teach Knock Off to another of the planned team though. I think I might work on the Ghost/Dark/Bug type next once I can decide, going for either Gengar, Houndoom, for Scizor.
By JeanMarc
#152659 The only one in those 3 that could use Knock Off well in those 3 would be Scizor, and I wouldn't recommend it because you already run Ferrothorn, which would give you 2 pokemon that are 4x weak to fire. Houndoom is only viable as a mega and it's outclassed by Mega Charizard Y when it comes to a special attacking Fire type mega. Gengar though can be interesting to use, depending on what you're planning, since you can go with a standard special attacker, a supportive pokemon or go with Mega Gengar as a Perish trapper.
JOIN THE TEAM