Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

By KuryoZT
#64831 Ok, so first, since it's about pokemon games, I'll move this to off-topic, sorry about that.
Second, I'll warn first, I count generations in the order of consoles they were in (GB GBC GBA ND NDi 3DS, easily understandable I suppose.)
Yellow
Gold
Emerald
Platinum
Black 2

This is my opinion, you may share it, you may not, I couldn't care much less. Unless you share my view, in which case you're a nice guy, keep it up!

Why that order? Mostly because I'm nostalgic, I played the games I named as first of their generation, except Platinum, and Black 2 is the only gen5 I played.
Yellow was also my first game ever. So it does hold a truly special place in my heart.
Yellow, Emerald and Platinum are all third-sets of their generation (?) and so learned from the games that went out before, giving more content technically, or a little different story. And honestly, I don't know why, but I prefered Platinum to Pearl, even though I played Pearl before, and Pearl was the one to get me back into pokemon.
But hey, I don't need a reason to like hamburgers, so why would I need one for Platinum?
Anyway, that's all I'll say for that, have a nice day guys.
By The_Nanobots
MrSPARTAN23 wrote:
SPG wrote:
MrSPARTAN23 wrote:Gen 1: Yellow, Red, Blue, Leaf Green, Red fire, all the Mystery Dungeons.
Gen 2: Soul Silver, all the Mystery Dungeons.
Gen 3: Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald and all the Mystery Dungeons.
Gen 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and all the Mystery Dungeons.
Gen 5: White.

gen 1: half of that is gen 3
everything else: all the mystery dungeons are gen 3-5

Sorry, but I count Red Fire/Leaf Green Gen. 1 because of the Pokemons not because of the release date. Same thing for Mystery Dungeons because they contains Pokemon from other Gens.

Sorry, but you're arguing that Firered and Leafgreen are gen 1 because they only have gen 1 pokemon, yet gen 2 and 3 pokemon are also available. That argument doesn't work there. (what would pokemon rumble be because only Gen 1 and Gen 4 pokemon are available.)

Now if you're basing generation by what region the game takes place then that would work for Firered/Leafgreen, so according to that theory the generations would go like this.
Gen 1: Kanto
Gen 2: Johto
Gen 3: Hoen
Gen 4: Sinnoh
Gen 5: Unova

There are problems with it however. Colosseum and XD take place in the orre region, pokemon picross doesn't take place in any region, and all pokemon dungeon games take place in the Mystery Dungeon world. The mystery dungeon games present a unique problem. They contradict what you have stated. Because this theory bases the generation of a game on what region it is in. If all mystery dungeon games take place in the same region then all mystery dungeon games are in the same generation. Pokemon picross doesn't have a region so this theory have been effectively disproved.

Lets look at the definition of generation as it pertains to the current subject.
Generation:A stage or period of sequential technological development and innovation.
Notice how it doesn't mention anything about pokemon or regions at all. It merely says a period of innovation/development. Which means that different generations have different levels of innovation.

Now Firered and Leafgreen use the same game engine as Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Which would mean that they are part of the same "generation" of pokemon games. The same can be said about Heartgold/Soulsilver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

The spin off games generation can be determined by when they are released. First we need to know that the main series games that are NOT remakes are using a more innovative game engine then the main series game that came before it. We can then know that each main series game that is NOT a remake is its own generation. We can then say that all games that were released after a main series game, but before the next main series game are a part of the previously mentioned main series generation.

tl;dr You stated that generations were not based on release date yet that is how generations are defined. (assuming that you don't make something that is crappier in all regards in comparison to something that was made before.)
By KuryoZT
Matdog222 wrote:Hey nanobots gen 1 and 3 happened at the same time and gen 2 happened 3 years later and so on this is the OFFICIAL TIMELINE check ur facts not to be rude

Nanobots is right, but he didn't use the game timeline like you think. He used the console one, like I did mostly. So I believe he is correct in his way of thinking.
By The_Nanobots
Matdog222 wrote:Hey nanobots gen 1 and 3 happened at the same time and gen 2 happened 3 years later and so on this is the OFFICIAL TIMELINE check ur facts not to be rude

Did you perhaps think that maybe generations don't mean the games internal timeline? Maybe thats why we use the words "generation" and "timeline" differently. Also how would the Legend of Zelda games be divided if the timeline was the generation. Especialy with all of its alternate universes.
Spoiler:
By Blaster
#65874 I am also including reasons and my favorite spin offs in that order

Gen 1: Red (nuff said) (Pokémon Stadium (one of my first Pokémon experiences))
Gen 2: Crystal (I can't explain why, I just prefer crystal over gold/ silver (probably because I played crystal first)) (Pokémon Stadium 2 (stadium 1 with more Pokémon))
Gen 3: Emerald (aside from this being my first Pokémon game, two villain teams in the same game, vilains are more of a threat, love the soundtrack, battle frontier and can get all three weather trio members) ( Red Rescue Team (great soundtrack, love the story, and kept me going until gen IV (didn't like sapphire and leaf green as much)))
Gen 4: Platinum (fixed issues I had in Diamond (surf speed), Torn world, slightly easier battle frontier, better sprites, and allowed me to catch mesprit (I still have no idea where the thing went in my diamond. it just disappeared)/ Heart Gold (Gen 2 with a remix, fixed the issues that I had with Fire red/ leaf green) (Shadows of Almia (fixed the issues I had with the original (*cough mk 1 stylus *cough)/ Explorers of the Sky (definitive explorers game))
Gen 5: White 2 (definitive gen 5) (I am honestly torn between including gates to infinity here because I can't distinguish between weather it is in Gen 5/6)
JOIN THE TEAM