Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By Chison
#78642 Hello fellow pokemon and pixelmon fans.

Lately I have looked at a lot of pokemon theories and thought about some of my own and one that really interests me and the question :

What was the first pokemon ever caught ?

Both in a pokeball and in something else. So I want to give you the facts that I can remember and want to hear your impression on the issue.

So first of all a few facts from the games and anime :

1. Fossil pokemon are up to 300.000.000 years old (Kabuto pokedex entry). Whether or not we should still call them fossils is questionable since living examples have been found as well.

2. In the 5th pokemon movie (Pokemon Heroes) it is said that evil trainers used Kabutops and Aerodactyl to torment the city of Alto Mare. There is no date given but it show us that people used pokemon quite early on. Whether they caught them or befriended them is unknown.

3. Drayden (Iris 'grandfather') mentions he remembers the time where pokeballs didn't exist yet. Since he is still alive, and I will assume he is less than 150 years old, pokeballs are a rather new invention. Which sounds astonishing taking into account that things like time travel, teleportation and all sorts of high-tech stuff exist. Also we can assume that other old people (for example Professor Oak) have experienced the same and even used some of the oldest pokeball designs.

4. Kurt from the Johto region says that his family was the one to create the first pokeballs made from apricorns. Since Johto is the only region where apricorns grow, it is believable, given Kurt's age it was probably his father or grandfather who created the first pokeballs. Soon after a company took over and began creating the traditional pokeballs.

5. Since Kanto and Johto are (as far as I know) the only regions that are directly connected it explains how Professor Oak (Sam) in the 4th pokemon movie Pokemon 4ever: Voice of the Forest uses something similar to a pokeball that is still distinctively different. We can assume it is a primitive pokeball design that needs to be charged by turning the little top bit before throwing the ball.

6. Furthermore we know that many ancient pokemon have befriended people without getting caught, like the legendary dragon from Black&White which each choose a hero and follow them.

7. Last but not least from the 8th pokemon movie Lucario and the mystery mew we know that with the help of some energy form known as aura it was possible for certain people to trap pokemon in crystals. In the movie a hero had caught a Lucario and sealed him in a crystal on his staff for hundreds of years until Ash releases him accidentally.

8. In the end we know from the anime that there have been other forms of storage for pokemon in different kinds of objects. But I don't remember an example so yeah, I just remember it happening.

So we know pokemon existed for millions of years and so on and so on and evolution and blah blah blah, humans start populating earth and befriend pokemon, eventually finding techniques to catch and seal them in objects and not more than 150 years ago the first primitive pokeballs were developed in the Johto region and soon became a world-wide hit when sold as "Pokeballs" from a company.

For all I care the first pokemon ever caught in one of the first pokeballs was a Slowpoke , why ? Because Slowpoke is a very important pokemon in Kurt's village and probably for his ancestors too which is why it is reasonable to catch one. The first pokemon ever befriended by a human was probably Omanyte because they seem like friendly pokemon unlike other fossils who seem hostile most of the time.

Note : I don't count that one episode from the anime where that human boy travelled back in time and befriended Tirtouga.

What are your thoughts on the matter ? Do you have more information ?

By Datmusic
#80784 Ima reply with a simple answer:
I was using a gameshark way back when so the first pokemon I ever caught was a shiny Charizard with a masterball. :p
JOIN THE TEAM