Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By thealphamegaman
#88279 I figured I'd start a topic where we can post when we first started out pokemon adventures and how it has changed over the years, whether good or bad. I know that I first started on pokemon red, but eventually latched onto yellow. Let me tell you my pikachu in yellow wasn't the strongest pokemon I had either, surprisingly it was a butterfree lvl 87. Can't tell you how many elite 4 battles I went through to get it to that lvl. I will say that these later generations games up to Gen III weren't half bad, but after that they started to make it harder and harder to get the originals that we all came to love. Yeah I know with all the pokemon that were in Gen IV and up it would be more difficult, but just trying to decide between charmander, bulbasaur, and squirtle was just amazing and I truly miss that to no end. I have played up to Gen V (I think that's black & white) and I have to say it didn't really impress me with some of the pokemon they came up with. They seemed mostly like just remakes of old pokemon. I would say that after so many pokemon were made, they should just focus mainly on a handful of commons and uncommons, and maybe 3-5 legendaries. Now-a-days you've got almost 15-20 legendaries and it makes it seem like it's no longer that special to find a legendary. I mean it meant something amazing when you finally found a mewtwo or the 3 birds from Gen I and then you could try and find a way to get mew, which is by far my favorite legendary, but now it's just like, "Oh hey I got another legendary called such and such." Anyways, enough of a ranting from me, I want to hear what others have to say and what their thoughts are as well as their fond memories of their pokemon exploits through the years.

By DeamonWolf
#88320 I started at the same gen as you with Red and Blue. I was hooked on contact. I always picked charmander just cause I wanted charizard but eevee and his evolutions were always my strongest and favorite pokemon. I like the later gens and that is purely because they keep coming out with more evolutions for eevee lol. I like eevee if you could not tell. Have to say I agree about the crazy amount of legendaries though.
By thealphamegaman
DeamonWolf wrote:I started at the same gen as you with Red and Blue. I was hooked on contact. I always picked charmander just cause I wanted charizard but eevee and his evolutions were always my strongest and favorite pokemon. I like the later gens and that is purely because they keep coming out with more evolutions for eevee lol. I like eevee if you could not tell. Have to say I agree about the crazy amount of legendaries though.

I think I picked charmander the first time I played through red, but quickly swapped over to bulbasaur as my favorite and stuck with him most of the other times (did a few squirtle starts but still fell in love with bulbasaur). As for eevee, I think it is pretty cool how they keep coming up with new evolutions for it, and with all the different types they could easily keep it going for a very long time, but after a while it becomes the same as with the legendaries. "oh hey look eevee can change into something else," type of thing and then what. I say my main concern about pokemon though is the lack of originality for the pokemon and the lack of attempt for pokemon designs. I mean trubbish and garbodor, a pokemon made of trash? That's pretty messed up. As for my comment about the redesign of Gen I pokemon in Gen V, timburr is a perfect example. Timburr and it's evolutions are just a reimagining of machop and his evolutions. Purrloin was another meowth, tympole another poliwag, throh and swak a pair of hitmonlee and hitmonchan, klink were magnemites in a sense, I could go on and on. Granted for as many reimaginings there were twice as many originals, but it makes you sad knowing that kids these days won't enjoy the regular trio and the few legendaries.
By DeamonWolf
thealphamegaman wrote:
DeamonWolf wrote:I started at the same gen as you with Red and Blue. I was hooked on contact. I always picked charmander just cause I wanted charizard but eevee and his evolutions were always my strongest and favorite pokemon. I like the later gens and that is purely because they keep coming out with more evolutions for eevee lol. I like eevee if you could not tell. Have to say I agree about the crazy amount of legendaries though.

I think I picked charmander the first time I played through red, but quickly swapped over to bulbasaur as my favorite and stuck with him most of the other times (did a few squirtle starts but still fell in love with bulbasaur). As for eevee, I think it is pretty cool how they keep coming up with new evolutions for it, and with all the different types they could easily keep it going for a very long time, but after a while it becomes the same as with the legendaries. "oh hey look eevee can change into something else," type of thing and then what. I say my main concern about pokemon though is the lack of originality for the pokemon and the lack of attempt for pokemon designs. I mean trubbish and garbodor, a pokemon made of trash? That's pretty messed up. As for my comment about the redesign of Gen I pokemon in Gen V, timburr is a perfect example. Timburr and it's evolutions are just a reimagining of machop and his evolutions. Purrloin was another meowth, tympole another poliwag, throh and swak a pair of hitmonlee and hitmonchan, klink were magnemites in a sense, I could go on and on. Granted for as many reimaginings there were twice as many originals, but it makes you sad knowing that kids these days won't enjoy the regular trio and the few legendaries.

Yeah I was very worried about that happening with eevee for a while. I do have to agree though it lacks the sense of accomplishment (as much as one can get from a game at least). You used to be a beast if you had managed to capture all of the legends without cheating. Now it's like well congrats you now have one of twenty lol
By thealphamegaman
DeamonWolf wrote:
thealphamegaman wrote:

Yeah I was very worried about that happening with eevee for a while. I do have to agree though it lacks the sense of accomplishment (as much as one can get from a game at least). You used to be a beast if you had managed to capture all of the legends without cheating. Now it's like well congrats you now have one of twenty lol

Still some of the designs that are original are kind of interesting, but at the same time I feel pokemon has lost the magic that it had when it was still in it's first few generations. I haven't even touched pokemon x and y because I'm kind of worried about the pokemon I might see.
By thealphamegaman
Synitar wrote:Diamond and Pearl? Okay? Or am I a noob, now?

You don't need to call yourself that, everyone is new to something at one point in their life so we have all been noobs. I will say that D&P was a decent series just because of the awesome legendaries (mainly giratina) so I don't really have much negative to say about Gen IV besides the number of legendaries. But don't think less I the fact that you joined the pokeverse later than others. That's what this thread is for, to just share your viewpoints on the different generations of Pokemon without thing to be an ass to those who joined after you did.
By thealphamegaman
MoeBoy76 wrote:i had played red/blue before but my first Pokemon game i owned was Crystal version and is still to this day my personal favourite handheld Pokemon game
it had all the good stuff: chasing Suicune, pitfalls, free pokemon (like my charmander with flamethrower i got from the egg on my first playthrough) and getting the 4 base element stones from trainers

I never actually played crystal but it looked excessively interesting to be honest. But lets talk something else pokemon that most people don't really talk about much, the pokemon console games. I'll admit I played the first pkmn stadium game quite extensively and have started on the GC games, so far it's actually pretty interesting if I knew what I was doing. what are your thoughts on those ones.
By purenrgiii
thealphamegaman wrote:
MoeBoy76 wrote:i had played red/blue before but my first Pokemon game i owned was Crystal version and is still to this day my personal favourite handheld Pokemon game
it had all the good stuff: chasing Suicune, pitfalls, free pokemon (like my charmander with flamethrower i got from the egg on my first playthrough) and getting the 4 base element stones from trainers

I never actually played crystal but it looked excessively interesting to be honest. But lets talk something else pokemon that most people don't really talk about much, the pokemon console games. I'll admit I played the first pkmn stadium game quite extensively and have started on the GC games, so far it's actually pretty interesting if I knew what I was doing. what are your thoughts on those ones.

i got pokemon red and blue and a new gameboy color when they first lunched. last one i played was black and silver.
By purenrgiii
purenrgiii wrote:
thealphamegaman wrote:

i got pokemon red and blue and a new gameboy color when they first lunched. last one i played was black and silver. first consol game was either pokeomn snap then hey you pikachu
JOIN THE TEAM