By Muk
#185787 I noticed that a lot of people are destroying these forums with some pretty epic looking models, but I noticed that a lot of the Gen 1 Pokemon aren't getting as much love, especially those like Golem, Muk, Grimer, Paras, and others. I couldn't help but give modeling a try with my favorite Pokemon sporting an outdated model.

The amazing textures were created by Il_Lupo, so a big round of applause and a cookie for them! :D

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Changelog:
09-08 -16: Added First Model for Muk
09 -10-16: Created New Model for Muk (Reduced faces)
09-11-16: Added First Model for Grimer
09-14-16: Models removed (Requested)
09-16-16: Created New Model for Muk (Requested)
09-17-16: General Texture fix (Muk)
09-19-16: Poly Count Reduced to 1139 (Shows as 1.2k on Sketchfab)
09-20-16: Poly Count Reduced to around 900 (Muk)
09-21-16: Grimer Model Added
10-01-16: AMAZING textures added by Il_Lupo

Muk:

Muk by illupo on Sketchfab

Muk (Shiny):

Shiny Muk by illupo on Sketchfab

Grimer:

Grimer for Pixelmon: Version 3.0.2 by Squiid on Sketchfab

Link: https://sketchfab.com/models/38c01b8de4 ... 6f162a383d

By Il_Lupo
#185936 This isn't too bad for a first model- but the face count is way too high! Try to simplify the model without losing its form.
By Muk
Il_Lupo wrote:This isn't too bad for a first model- but the face count is way too high! Try to simplify the model without losing its form.

Thanks! Ya, I kinda figured that the count was way too high. I'm going to remodel it using the low poly Colosseum Model as a better reference. Altogether the model will look better since this will practically an overhaul, hopefully making it look better AND have a lower face count, probably won't be done until after the weekend though...
By Muk
#186164 Here is my new rendition of the marvelous Muk, it is much lower on the face count side and honestly looks a little bit better. I used the Colosseum/ XD model as my main reference this time rather than just various images from the anime.

Muk for Pixelmon: Version 2.0 by Squiid on Sketchfab

Again, the texture is unfinished since I am not sure I can texture it all that well, but tell me what you guys think.
By Muk
#186932 After receiving some friendly advice from another forum user, I have completely face-lifted my original model, again, this time using the 3DS model. Recommendations?

Muk for Pixelmon: Version 3.0.0 by Squiid on Sketchfab

Btw. I have been informed that the maximum face count is 1.5k but some models use even around 1.7k like Misdreavous.
By Il_Lupo
#187212 Yeah, that uses way too many faces again. It's a good shape this time- but try to make the same shape with as few faces as possible.
By Muk
Il_Lupo wrote:Yeah, that uses way too many faces again. It's a good shape this time- but try to make the same shape with as few faces as possible.

I managed to get it down to about 1.2k faces before I started to lose some real good details. The overall complexity of Muk's slime body made it very hard for me to reduce faces that are essential to his design.

After trying by hand, by Decimate, and by Edge Split, I'm currently going to leave it sit at 1.2k for fear of losing the model's overall niceness... I think it should be more usable though around 1.2k though, right? After all, some models are 1.5k + and Muk isn't really a small Pokemon, at least not according to Pokemon XY and Go.
By Il_Lupo
#187291 To be honest, most models use texturing to show things like Muk's second grime layer. It's not because we want to be lazy, but because it keeps the models nice and simple. You would want to have even half of that amount of faces, with the only complicated part being the mouth. Size isn't dependent on how many faces it has either, your model would be scaled up or down accordingly to match pokedex details in-game.
By Muk
Il_Lupo wrote:To be honest, most models use texturing to show things like Muk's second grime layer. It's not because we want to be lazy, but because it keeps the models nice and simple. You would want to have even half of that amount of faces, with the only complicated part being the mouth. Size isn't dependent on how many faces it has either, your model would be scaled up or down accordingly to match pokedex details in-game.

I do appreciate all of the advice you've been giving me, hopefully I remember all this when remaking Grimer. Anyways, I gave it another go and was able to drop Muk to 897 faces (displays wrong on Sketchfab for some reason), by removing the second grime layer and smoothing the model out. I'm, however, unsure that dropping the model any further is possible since so many parts are drawn to the mouth area.

Thanks again though for all your feedback, you and Scrotty seemed to be the only people giving me any, so I appreciate every word of it :D

P.S: If you know any texturers who would be interested in helping me, would you P.M. them to me?
By Il_Lupo
#187369 Much better, good job :D

I don't know of active texturers personally, but I'm happy to help if you don't find anyone else. Good luck with the Grimer, looking forward to seeing these guys in game :)
JOIN THE TEAM