By Zoxxic
#205622 I think it would be awesome to have some form of custom pokeballs (it is minecraft too after all). Like in Animal crossing how you can make designs with pixel art but just on one of your pokemon’s pokeball just to add a little bit of personalization and creativity. I think it should be very hard to be able to do this and not easy to craft the necessary items in order to do it. Maybe something like, “Pokeball 3D Printer”, “Pokeball Painter”, or “Pokeball Skin Machine” It would call for some type of items typically hard to get in the game. You wouldn’t be able to catch pokemon with a custom pokeball but instead you customize already caught pokemon. And maybe some sort of stand to show off your custom pokeball . You could left click on your pokemon with the custom pokeball and it changes your pokemon’s ball to the custom one. Or even just some mechanic where you can change your pokemon’s pokeball would be cool too. (for example; change it from a great ball to a dive ball).

By SKyTheThunder
#205624 An interesting idea. Customization is always fun. Not sure how far we'd be able to go with it if we were to add this though.
Full on 100% pixel-by-pixel design might take up too much bandwidth and space for slower connections/systems - at least from what little insight I have, I might be wrong. Also it may invite immature designs (you know what I mean) from trolls.
A system similar to MC Banners may be better, with set patterns and overlays that can be combined in different colors.
By MsKarMagick
#205636 A way I see customization being done "the right way" is to implement compatibility with Tinkers. Add Pokeball Lid and Pokeball Bottom casts, and give various materials different catch rates, different effects, and different textures. That way you get rid of the potential issue of immature designs, no bandwidth issues, and actually functional gameplay additions.

Couple effects I can quickly think of:

Redstone (Modifier) Increased catch rate on the first turn during battle (3 levels, requiring 50 redstone each) 2* Catch Rate, 3* Catch Rate, and 5* Catch Rate

Glowstone (Modifier) Increased catch rate on Shiny Pokemon (1 level, requires 25 glowstone), +3* catchrate on shiny pokemon

Steel (Material) Higher base catch rate (1.2*)

Diamond (Modifier) +1* Catch Rate | 3 levels

Emerald (Modifier) +50% Catch Rate

Paper (Material) -3* Catch Rate, but gives multiple modifiers to the ball

Regardless of material combos, catch rate can never drop below 0.5*

So using a couple of these; you got;

Basic catch rate all tinker balls start at = 1* + 2 Modifiers
Materials:
+ Paper lid | -3* + 5 modifer = We're at 0.5* total + 7 modifiers
+ Steel bottom | +1* = We're at 1.5* + 7 modifiers

Modifiers:
+ Glowstone | +0* -1 Modifier, +5* if shiny = We're at 1.5* if non-shiny, 6.5 if shiny +6 modifiers
+ Diamond*3 | +3*, -3 Modifiers = 4.5* if non-shny, 9.5 if shiny +3 modifiers
+ Redstone*3 | +5* if used on first turn = 9.5 if non-shiny, 14.5 if shiny, assuming it is used on the first turn, same catchrate* as above if not +0 modifiers
+ Modifier (Base Tinker's Construct item which gives +1 modifier, costs a nether star so it's hard to get, especially with pixelmon in mind) = 1 modifier
+ Emerald | +50%*, -1 Modifier = 14.25* if non-shiny, 21.75* if siny, assuming the ball is used on the first turn of battle + 0 Modifiers

So yeah, balls CAN get pretty OP, but think about the fact that it could still theoretically fail, resulting in your wasting all these materials on a SINGLE ball.
By MsKarMagick
#205637 About my above post, this is of course just examples, numbers, effects, costs, modifier amount can all be tweaked, and should have their own config file, hell the way I see it should probably even be a sidemod
By SKyTheThunder
#205641 I don't think we'll implement anything of that sort. The scope of Pixelmon is to recreate the original Pokémon games. That includes the Pokéballs and their effectiveness. Starting to try and "improve" one aspect would open so many floodgates and can easily end up with Pixelmon turning into something barely recognizable like other fan games.

I'd stick with the purely cosmetic version FoxKid originally suggested. That's much more likely to happen.
By MsKarMagick
#205642 I was more making that suggestion for a sidemod thing, heck maybe even not something official, just if someone looking to make a sidemod at point stumbles upon this, they might like the idea, who knows
By Zoxxic
#205773 The banner idea would be perfect! And, yes, you are right about the inappropriate things people would put on some Poke Balls. I could only imagine.. It totally slipped my mind. Now a recipe or method in getting these is what would make this great. I think it should be something difficult to get (mostly to show off your skill). It could be a craftable “pokeball skin” or maybe a new Customizable Pokeball as a whole. Im sure if you do actually consider this, you guys can come up with something genius.
By KaideJong
#205804 I kind of hate this idea. I think it would be best not to do this, since keeping it as close to the regular pokemon games as possible is the best thing to do in my opinion.
By SKyTheThunder
#205809 Gen4's Ball Capsules are kinda close to this and we see customized Pokeballs in the anime, so I wouldn't say it's that far off.
By KaideJong
#205818 I think that adding Ball Capsules is a much better idea.
JOIN THE TEAM