By ItsaGlitch1
#209088 Pokemon Legends Arceus just gave us a lot of new information, one of the features of the game is how pokemon react to they player. They can attack you, ignore you, or just start running away.

What I want to suggest is the mechanic where pokemon can attack the player and not only the pokemon, which could add a new level of challenge to the Pixelmon game as you would have to survive pokemon attacks, or have pokemon get scared and start running away.
Obviously, for the pokemon attacking the player, the player should be invulnerable while engaged in a pokemon battle with a different pokemon.

Here are some screenshots of what I mean from the trailers

By SKyTheThunder
#209091 We have avoided it for now because none of the main line games has Pokémon posing a direct danger to the Player. While Legends:Arceus seems to be pretty close to main game mechanics for the most part, it seems to still be a spinoff in the vein on Let's GO.

If it was done, it would have to be an opt-in setting, similar to vanilla mobs. We're mostly going for the "children can go out and explore the world without worry", so it likely won't become the default setting.
By ItsaGlitch1
#209126 I'm totally fine with an opt-in setting for this feature and having it set to disabled as default. Some people do like it without worry, but there are also some people who might want that level of difficulty.

Another thing with it, as specified in the post, there could be an opt-out setting for the player to be invulnerable to damage while in a pokemon battle, which could be set to disabled in the config.
By proclarushtaonasat
#209193 seconded! giving the players more options for fun is always a good idea. and of course the player should be invincible, while in battle, or while a pokemon is out, as it would make sense for your mon to jump in front of you to protect you.

Theres also the possibility of having pokemon, that try to attack you mid battle, just join the battle already in progress, as the main series games have added wild pokemon calling for help. I also wouldnt mind an option for players to jump into fights to help other players

pixelmon is still missing tripple battles and horde encounters, and double battles are barely used, outside of pvp and rustles
By AydenAc
#209305 Considering some Pokemon are already aggressive right now, in the way they force you into battle, I think this could be a great default change done on a lower scale. Maybe locking it to legendaries as a way of making them less "Lock in a cage and have a crowd huddle around them"
By Mission
#210899 This would also be a fantastic reason to have a shield. Plus, I'm so sick of running through the wild, just for a level 50 Pokemon to force me into a battle with my level 5 starter that can't run away and wipes out my whole team before I've really even started.
By Omio9999
#211000 I'm gonna level with mentioning another project that absolutely could hone this idea down.

Pokémon Tabletop United has things for trainers and Pokémon to actively fight against each other - and a LOT of content in that neck of the woods. It'll take a lot of work to implement variations of all of that (probably close to an utter overhaul), but I was only gonna cite PTU for inspiration, rather than firm mechanics.

There's a lot of design decisions to consider for this idea, and we should try to hone in on the discussion of hypothetical implementation, if we want this feature to proceed.

Having the player have "stats" would also provide the benefit of Pixelmon giving us a "kitchen sink" feel overall, and provide benefits to each player for facing challenges - giving servers even more agency on handing out rewards to engaged players. However, going as far as "features" and "edges" from the PTU content is going to add a lot of tedium that I don't know if it will be particularly balanced.

The possibilities of the player themselves directly interacting with Pokémon are utterly massive, but if the community wants it, we need to make sure it's as inclusive as possible, without throwing a wrench in everything.

Also I don't think adding the PTU death mechanic is a good idea unless people REALLY wanna be hardcore.
JOIN THE TEAM