User avatar
By Neovitalism
#212877 I believe TCG should be it's own separate mod again, and just included in the official reforged modpack instead. This way, not only can servers (and players alike) opt out of including TCG when they don't want it, but it removes "bloat" from the main mod as well.

User avatar
By 9Tales
#212903 With TCG already in the mod, I don't necessarily think it should be separated again, but I wouldn't mind if the Generation 1 series sets were the only ones incorporated.

If you keep adding more sets, you will have to eventually address the fact that cards "expire" and become no longer legal in tournaments. I don't know when each set expired, but the easiest way to deal with it in my opinion is to just not incorporate series that resulted in sets getting expired. Also, I feel the existing sets should be perfected.
User avatar
By Jephon
#212938 No!!! I’ve been so excited for TCG to be included in the mod! Not only is it a single mod for players to download, it’s getting TCG some much needed love and attention.
User avatar
By SKyTheThunder
#212940 Having it as a separate mod would make integration much harder. For example, adding TCG shops to villages requires overriding the template pools for village houses, so any and all changes in base Pixelmon would need to be reflected there as well. Same goes for loot tables and other integrations.
User avatar
By Jephon
#212941
9Tales wrote:With TCG already in the mod, I don't necessarily think it should be separated again, but I wouldn't mind if the Generation 1 series sets were the only ones incorporated.

If you keep adding more sets, you will have to eventually address the fact that cards "expire" and become no longer legal in tournaments. I don't know when each set expired, but the easiest way to deal with it in my opinion is to just not incorporate series that resulted in sets getting expired. Also, I feel the existing sets should be perfected.


I would imagine it would be similar to how Pokémon in general is handled as far as enabling and disabling different generations. This is all long in the future but I’d assume we’d have tournament classes for cards if/when needed, otherwise it’s open play. The difficult thing is I don’t believe we would have a precedent for it like we do with Pokémon Showdown and etc.
User avatar
By Neovitalism
#212946 I understand this is unlikely to get accepted, but I'd just like to address a few things.
Jephon wrote:No!!! I’ve been so excited for TCG to be included in the mod! Not only is it a single mod for players to download, it’s getting TCG some much needed love and attention.

The majority of players use a modpack, of which would contain a separate TCG mod, that players would still use. The reason I proposed this is for servers and players to be able to not use TCG if they so decide, instead of forcing it upon them. For example, a whole story-based server loses it's feel once players get ahold of TCG, unless you somehow change your story to add them, which is not something we should have to accommodate for. At the very least, an option to disable TCG would be nice.
SKyTheThunder wrote:Having it as a separate mod would make integration much harder. For example, adding TCG shops to villages requires overriding the template pools for village houses, so any and all changes in base Pixelmon would need to be reflected there as well. Same goes for loot tables and other integrations.

TCG already IS a separate mod, it's just hosted in the same Pixelmon jar. NPC shops are handled by TCG as if it were any sidemod, using Pixelmon as a dependency. As far as I can tell from looking at it, nothing would change. All that would change is splitting them into 2 different jar files, giving both players and servers options.

As for the other suggestions/discussion to do with card sets, I believe they belong in a separate thread.
By GamersBrew
#212948 Nothing against the TCG but it really should be it's own separate thing. If you want it's not a far stretch to make it have pixelmon as a dependency and would do everything with the NPC just fine.

Going forward at the very least should have a disable function via datapack or a datapack needs to be made to disable as much of it as possible. Cause I get a lot of server owners don't want to do all the extra stuff that comes with the demand of having to run events for cards as well as battles. It's to much for some server owners and it's becoming a high bar to meet for some newer servers that look so bare bones compared to a server that's full staffed.
User avatar
By SKyTheThunder
#212950
Neovitalism wrote:NPC shops are handled by TCG as if it were any sidemod, using Pixelmon as a dependency. As far as I can tell from looking at it, nothing would change.

Untrue. TCG Shops are integrated into the same structure template pool that also adds other Pixelmon buildings to Villages. This template pool has to be fully overridden; you can't just add one or two buildings - meaning that to split TCG out, we'd have to create two versions each: The default one, and the TCG one, with the latter being an exact copy of the default, but with additional entries. So for every change, we'd have to make sure that both are always updated.
The same applies to other data files, like various loot sources.

By splitting it out, you'd either massively drive up maintenance and error potential, or severely limit integration into regular gameplay, forcing people who do want to use it to make those configurations themselves (which we know 99% of the time won't happen).
JOIN THE TEAM