By 9Tales
#216011 The thick canopy of the Ultra Forest makes it very dark underneath. I have trouble seeing. I feel that Ultra Forest needs some way of lighting up the ground so the player can see without placing torches everywhere.

I have six ideas so far on how to accomplish this:
  1. Add vines or some kind of hanging plant feature that hangs down from the bottom of the Ultra Elm leaves and light up the ground, similar to glow berry vines. Something that looks good in the Ultra Forest.
    Demonstration | Show
    I used chains and lanterns to showcase the concept of vines hanging down from the trees. If this was incorporated, the blocks would be something else and there would be more of them. This would probably look best if the heights were layered so there were small ones, medium ones, and large ones, but I got tired of placing chains and lanterns.

Before:

After:
  2. Make the Ultra Forest Flowers or fallen leaves emit light. There are lots of them, after all. This would be the easiest solution, but might not light the area up as well as other solutions.
    Demonstration | Show
    I did this demonstration with Ultra Forest Flowers rather than fallen leaves because the possibility of doing this with fallen leaves was an afterthought. Also, I couldn't actually make the flowers emit light myself, so I placed lots of torches next to them.

Before:

After:
  3. Make light pass through Ultra Elm leaves like glass. This is the most effective way of lighting up the area, though I'm not sure how natural it looks.
    Demonstration | Show
    Note: For this demonstration, I actually just created the illusion of a canopy that completely lets light through by replacing all the Ultra Elm leaves above the area with glass.

Before:

After:
  4. Put a cap on how much Ultra Elm leaves can darken the area underneath, if possible. Maybe make it so the Ultra Elm leaves cannot decrease a sky light level that greater than or equal to 10 to something less than 10. Basically, if the sky light level is greater than 10, it sets it to one less, otherwise it keeps it what it was. If the light level cap is not going to be 10, then use whatever light level is chosen .
  5. Make grass blocks in the Ultra Forest emit light.
  6. Add a light-emitting block that is scattered evenly on top of the ground.

JOIN THE TEAM