Frequently asked questions
This is a list of frequently asked questions about Pixelmon. The questions are distributed into different sections based on the topics that they are related to.
To avoid redundancy with other articles, questions that can be easily answered by searching a related search term on the wiki will not be listed here. For example, "How do I make Poké Balls?" can be answered by searching "Poké Balls" on the wiki.
- 1 Questions
- 1.1 Installation
- 1.1.1 Do I need to use the Pixelmon launcher to play Pixelmon?
- 1.1.2 Minecraft crashes on start-up after I install Pixelmon! How do I fix this?
- 1.1.3 Minecraft never finishes loading/Minecraft is very laggy after installing Pixelmon! Can I fix this?
- 1.1.4 How do I install Pixelmon for Minecraft Windows 10, Console, or Pocket editions?
- 1.1.5 I'm getting an error message saying my Java version is out-of-date, but I have Java 8 installed. What does this mean?
- 1.1.6 I installed Pixelmon, but I don't see any Pixelmon-related features in-game. What is wrong?
- 1.1.7 Why does the Pixelmon team dislike the Technic launcher?
- 1.1.8 When I select a starter Pokémon, the Generation 6 starter Pokémon are listed as "Coming Soon". Why is this?
- 1.2 Pixelmon launcher
- 1.2.1 The Pixelmon launcher crashes immediately after starting up. What do I do?
- 1.2.2 Why can't I log into the Pixelmon launcher?
- 1.2.3 I want to allocate more RAM to Minecraft, but the Pixelmon launcher only lets me allocate up to 1200M of RAM. How do I increase this memory limit?
- 1.2.4 Is there a Pixelmon launcher for macOS or Linux?
- 1.2.5 How do I list my Pixpack on the Pixelmon launcher's Pixpack list?
- 1.2.6 How do I get my server onto the Pixelmon launcher's server list?
- 1.3 Updates
- 1.3.1 Can you add this Pokémon into the mod?
- 1.3.2 Can you update this Pokémon's model? It looks really blocky compared to other models!
- 1.3.3 Can you add this feature from Generation 7?
- 1.3.4 Can I suggest a feature or change for Pixelmon?
- 1.3.5 There's a bug in the mod! Where do I ask the Pixelmon team to fix it?
- 1.3.6 When will the next update come out?
- 1.3.7 What changes will be in the next update?
- 1.3.8 Will Pixelmon be compatible with Minecraft 1.11 or 1.12?
- 1.3.9 Will Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.7.10 ever receive updates anymore?
- 1.4 Gameplay
- 1.4.1 What are the boxes in the upper-right corner of the screen?
- 1.4.2 What are the icons in the lower-right corner of the screen?
- 1.4.3 What Generation are battle mechanics based on?
- 1.4.4 Is there a way to obtain trade evolutions in singleplayer?
- 1.4.5 Can I change the locations where Pokémon spawn?
- 1.4.6 Can I disable certain Generations of Pokémon?
- 1.4.7 Is it possible to disable natural spawning of Pokémon?
- 1.4.8 Can I disable the natural spawning of NPCs?
- 1.4.9 Why can't I see names above wild Pokémon?
- 1.4.10 How do I edit shopkeepers?
- 1.4.11 Can I use Mega Evolution outside of battle?
- 1.4.12 Can I make boss Pokémon spawn like they did before Pixelmon 5.0.2?
- 1.4.13 Why can't I plant any more Apricorn trees or Berry trees in my area?
- 1.5 Servers
- 1.6 Website
- 1.6.1 How do I link my Minecraft account with my Pixelmon forum account?
- 1.6.2 How do I get a Trainer hat?
- 1.6.3 I've donated to the mod. Why don't I have access to a Pixelmon sash yet?
- 1.6.4 How do I attach log files or text files to a bug or support ticket?
- 1.6.5 There is another Pixelmon wiki on Wikia. What is this?
- 1.7 Development
- 1.1 Installation
These questions relate to the initial installation of Pixelmon.
Do I need to use the Pixelmon launcher to play Pixelmon?
The Pixelmon launcher is not required to play Pixelmon. It provides a simplified method for installing Pixelmon and its sidemods, but the normal Minecraft launcher can also be used to play. The Pixelmon mod will function exactly the same regardless of which installation method is used.
Minecraft crashes on start-up after I install Pixelmon! How do I fix this?
There are several different issues that may cause Minecraft to crash upon start-up. First, refer to this guide for a list of common issues with your system that may be causing the crash. If the guide does not resolve this issue, post the issue in Pixelmon's support tracker.
Minecraft never finishes loading/Minecraft is very laggy after installing Pixelmon! Can I fix this?
See Fixing memory issues for information on how to fix the issue by allocating more memory to Minecraft.
How do I install Pixelmon for Minecraft Windows 10, Console, or Pocket editions?
Pixelmon cannot be installed for any of these editions, and can only be used with the computer edition of Minecraft. This is a limitation of all Minecraft Forge-based mods.
In addition, user accounts for these editions are not compatible with the Pixelmon launcher.
I'm getting an error message saying my Java version is out-of-date, but I have Java 8 installed. What does this mean?
If you have multiple versions of Java installed on your system, make sure that Minecraft is using your Java 8 installation (this can be modified by the "Executable" setting in your profile settings. Alternatively, uninstall all of your older Java versions to force Minecraft to use Java 8.
There are two main causes of this issue.
First, check the "Mods" section on Minecraft's main menu. If Pixelmon is not in the mods list, then a problem occurred during installation. If you are sure that you placed the downloaded Pixelmon JAR file in the correct location (in the
mods folder), check the file size of the Pixelmon JAR. If it is significantly less than 300MB, then your download was corrupted. Try redownloading the Pixelmon JAR.
If the problem above does not apply to you, make sure you are not using the Technic launcher; it is incompatible with Pixelmon. Use the Minecraft launcher or the Pixelmon launcher instead. This issue will not be fixed.
Why does the Pixelmon team dislike the Technic launcher?
The Technic launcher is frowned upon by the Pixelmon team for the following reasons:
- Users who obtain Pixelmon through alternate sources such as the Technic launcher frequently do not learn about the Pixelmon website. This prevents them from obtaining support and reporting bugs to the Pixelmon developers.
- The Technic launcher makes it easy for hacked copies of Pixelmon to be distributed, making it a dangerous and unacceptable platform for obtaining Pixelmon.
- The Technic launcher developers continually refuse to address the aforementioned issues, despite attempts from the Pixelmon team to negotiate.
When I select a starter Pokémon, the Generation 6 starter Pokémon are listed as "Coming Soon". Why is this?
If you previously installed Pixelmon before version 4.3.0 or 5.0.0, you will need to delete or edit your Pixelmon config file to access the Generation 6 starter Pokémon. Details on where to locate this file can be found here.
These questions relate to the Pixelmon launcher.
The Pixelmon launcher crashes immediately after starting up. What do I do?
See this page for possible solutions for this issue.
Why can't I log into the Pixelmon launcher?
You need to use your Minecraft account details to log into the Pixelmon launcher; you cannot use your Pixelmon forum account details here. If your Minecraft account was created several years ago and you have not yet migrated it to a Mojang account, you will have to do this to use the Pixelmon launcher. Additionally, you need to have purchased the computer version (excluding Windows 10 edition) of Minecraft using this account.
I want to allocate more RAM to Minecraft, but the Pixelmon launcher only lets me allocate up to 1200M of RAM. How do I increase this memory limit?
See Fixing memory issues for information on how to fix this issue.
Is there a Pixelmon launcher for macOS or Linux?
There are no Pixelmon launcher versions for macOS or Linux. For the time being, no developers who work on the Pixelmon launcher use either macOS or Linux, so ported versions are not planned at this time. The normal Minecraft launcher can still be used to play Pixelmon on these operating systems.
How do I list my Pixpack on the Pixelmon launcher's Pixpack list?
How do I get my server onto the Pixelmon launcher's server list?
This server list is reserved for servers and server owners that help with the development and testing of Pixelmon. You cannot request to add a server onto this server list.
These questions are about updates to the Pixelmon mod.
Can you add this Pokémon into the mod?
Eventually, the goal is to have all Pokémon implemented in Pixelmon. However, this cannot happen in an instant; Pokémon need models, textures, and animations in order to be implemented. In particular, the Pixelmon team has very few animators, so the addition of Pokémon is limited by the pace at which the animators can animate Pokémon models.
Do not ask for a Pokémon to be implemented if you are not going to contribute to the implementation of it. The suggestion will not influence the Pixelmon team's decisions in any way and will be ignored.
Can you update this Pokémon's model? It looks really blocky compared to other models!
Several Pokémon models were made before the Pixelmon developers adopted their current standards of modeling and animation. These outdated models will eventually be updated, but like adding new Pokémon, an updated Pokémon requires a model, textures, and animations. Also similar to adding new Pokémon, the speed at which animators can animate the models is the bottleneck when it comes to updating Pokémon.
Do not ask for a Pokémon to be updated if you are not going to contribute to the implementation of it. The suggestion will not influence the Pixelmon team's decisions in any way and will be ignored.
Can you add this feature from Generation 7?
No features from Generation 7 will be added into Pixelmon until Generation 8 is released. The Pixelmon team has chosen to limit the mod's scope to one Generation behind (Generation 6 in this case) the current Pokémon Generation out of respect for the creators of Pokémon.
Can I suggest a feature or change for Pixelmon?
If you want to suggest a feature for the mod, first read these guidelines on acceptable suggestions. Invalid suggestions, such as adding or remodeling Pokémon, will be ignored.
There's a bug in the mod! Where do I ask the Pixelmon team to fix it?
First, be sure that the issue is actually a bug with Pixelmon. If your "bug" is simply being unable to play the mod at all, such as the game crashing upon starting up, it is not a bug. First refer to this guide for a list of common issues with your system that may be causing the crash. If the guide does not resolve this issue, post the issue in Pixelmon's support tracker.
Next, make sure you are using the most recent version of Pixelmon. If you are not using the most recent version, the bug you encountered may have already been fixed in the most recent version. If you are using a Minecraft 1.7.10 version of Pixelmon, note that you are using a legacy version of Pixelmon that will no longer receive updates; any bugs present in a legacy version of Pixelmon will never be fixed for that version of Minecraft.
If you are sure that the issue is actually a bug with Pixelmon and you are using the latest Pixelmon version, read this page for guidelines on submitting bug reports, then post the bug on Pixelmon's bug tracker. It is imperative that you provide as much detail about the bug as possible, especially steps on how to reproduce the bug on a fresh Pixelmon world. If the bug resulted in a crash report or a console error, make sure to post the error as well. If the Pixelmon team cannot reproduce the bug or figure out what is causing it, the bug cannot be fixed.
When will the next update come out?
The Pixelmon team releases updates for Pixelmon whenever the team feels that there is enough new content to justify a release. This means that there is no structured release schedule for Pixelmon versions. However, progress updates on upcoming versions can be viewed on the Pixelmon news page and the Version history/Upcoming page.
What changes will be in the next update?
The Pixelmon team maintains a list of changes that will be in the next update. However, the Pixelmon team may choose to not reveal certain changes on that page.
Will Pixelmon be compatible with Minecraft 1.11 or 1.12?
Development on Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.11 is currently in progress. Pixelmon will wait until Sponge is stable for Minecraft 1.12 before updating to that version.
Will Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.7.10 ever receive updates anymore?
Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.7.10 is a legacy Pixelmon version that will no longer receive updates, meaning no new features, bug fixes, or sidemods. Additionally, the Pixelmon team will offer no support for issues encountered when installing or using this version.
Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.7.10 was discontinued for a variety of reasons:
- Bukkit was issued a DMCA takedown for copyright infringement by a former Bukkit developer, which also affected its derivatives such as Cauldron. It is now illegal to distribute these frameworks, and the Pixelmon team has moved to newer Minecraft versions to distance the mod from these controversies.
- The Pixelmon developers do not wish to remain on outdated Minecraft versions, as doing so is unhelpful to the Minecraft community. When a new Minecraft version is released, and Forge and Sponge are deemed stable for the new version, Pixelmon will begin to update to the new version.
- Maintaining and updating a separate version of Pixelmon for Minecraft 1.7.10 would take away development time from the current Pixelmon version.
These questions are related to playing the Pixelmon mod itself.
What are the boxes in the upper-right corner of the screen?
The box on the right is for your Pokémon's external moves.
The box on the left is a targeting system. If you have one of your Pokémon sent out and you are looking at a wild Pokémon, you can press the hotkey indicated in the box to have your Pokémon chase the wild Pokémon and initiate a battle against it.
What are the icons in the lower-right corner of the screen?
The left icon is the hotkey to open the Pixelmon or Minecraft wiki.
- If you are holding an item, the item's page on the Pixelmon or Minecraft wiki will be opened in your browser.
- If you are looking at a block while not holding an item, the block's page on the Pixelmon or Minecraft wiki will be opened in your browser.
The right icon is the hotkey to open the Pokédex.
- If you are looking at a Pokémon, the Pokédex will be opened at that Pokémon's Pokédex entry. The Pokémon will also be registered as "seen" if it hasn't been seen or caught before.
- Otherwise, the Pokédex will be opened at the top of the list.
What Generation are battle mechanics based on?
Battle mechanics derive from Generation 6. This means that certain Generation 7 mechanics, such as Z-Moves, are not present in Pixelmon.
Is there a way to obtain trade evolutions in singleplayer?
The Pixelmon Extras sidemod has a command, /tradesim, that will evolve Pokémon that normally evolve via trading. If another condition is required for the evolution, such as Scyther needing to hold a Metal Coat to evolve into Scizor, this extra condition must still be met.
Alternatively, it is possible to edit the Pixelmon database to add a different evolution condition to a Pokémon.
Can I change the locations where Pokémon spawn?
- The Spawn of Psyduck sidemod allows Pokémon spawn biomes, spawn rates, and spawn times to be modified.
- Pixelmon spawners can be used in order for Pokémon to spawn in a specific location in the world.
- The Pixelmon database can be modified in order to change certain other attributes such as spawn levels and spawn locations.
Can I disable certain Generations of Pokémon?
The "Spawning" section of Pixelmon's config file contains settings for disabling the natural spawning of individual Generations of Pokémon.
Is it possible to disable natural spawning of Pokémon?
This is possible by editing the Pixelmon config file. Find the
spawnDimensions setting, and remove the 0 (Overworld dimension) from the list. This setting does not affect Pixelmon spawners, making it possible to set up a world so that Pokémon only spawn from Pixelmon spawners.
Can I disable the natural spawning of NPCs?
Previous versions of Pixelmon included a config setting to disable NPC spawning, but this setting is now obsolete. If your config file was generated while this setting still existed, you may see this setting in the file, but changing it will no longer disable NPCs.
Why can't I see names above wild Pokémon?
Starting with the 4.3.0 and 5.0.0 beta versions, the ability to see Pokémon species names above wild Pokémon was removed. This was done in order to better integrate the Pokédex into Pixelmon; if a player cannot identify a certain Pokémon, the Pokédex can be used to scan and identify the Pokémon. Alternatively, the
showWildNames config option can be enabled to restore the functionality of seeing names above wild Pokémon.
How do I edit shopkeepers?
To edit the items that can be bought from and sold to a shopkeeper, you need to edit the shopkeeper's external JSON files.
Can I use Mega Evolution outside of battle?
There is currently no way to Mega Evolve outside of battle. This functionality is planned for the future.
Can I make boss Pokémon spawn like they did before Pixelmon 5.0.2?
No, and there are no plans to make an option for this. The change was made because boss Pokémon were deemed to be too easy to defeat and gain drops from; many boss Pokémon were unevolved or otherwise weak Pokémon. The current lack of diversity in boss Pokémon species will be resolved as more Mega Evolutions are added to Pixelmon.
Why can't I plant any more Apricorn trees or Berry trees in my area?
These questions are related to servers or other server-related topics.
Is there an official Pixelmon server?
The Pixelmon team hosts two beta servers, but these are not traditional Pixelmon servers; they are usually used for testing new versions of Pixelmon and sidemods. They are sometimes open for regular players to join, but this is not always guaranteed. Additionally, world data and player data may be reset spontaneously and without warning to facilitate testing.
Can I add Pixelmon to a modpack?
If you are making a modpack to distribute publicly, you are not allowed to add Pixelmon to it directly. If you do, you are in violation of Pixelmon's terms of service, and the Pixelmon team will not offer any support to you if you encounter problems with Pixelmon.
Instead of placing Pixelmon inside a modpack, you have some alternatives that comply with Pixelmon's terms of service:
- Use Pixpacks in conjunction with the Pixelmon launcher.
- Tell users to download and install Pixelmon separately after installing the modpack.
These questions are related to parts of the Pixelmon website, such as the Pixelmon forums.
You can install PixelLink to link your accounts.
How do I get a Trainer hat?
To gain access to a Trainer hat, you first need to link your Minecraft account to your Pixelmon forum account; instructions on doing this can be found here. Once you have done this, use the
/redeem command in-game to refresh your account status.
After completing the steps above, you can wear your Trainer hat with the command,
/redeem trainerhat. To take off the hat, use the command,
/redeem remove hat. The hat's color can also be customized with the command,
/redeem trainerhat <red> <green> <blue>, where the color arguments are RGB values from 0-255.
I've donated to the mod. Why don't I have access to a Pixelmon sash yet?
If you've just donated, wait for a few minutes so that the system is able to process your donation and give you access to the Pixelmon sash.
Once this is done, your account will gain a "donator" status; your Pixelmon forum username will be colored purple when you post on the forum and you will gain a "Donator" title. If you have no forum posts to verify this, you can also check your status by navigating to the "Statistics" section on the main forum page (near the bottom) and toggling the arrow next to the number of users online. A list will be displayed that will allow you to find your username and check its status.
If you have verified that you have donator status and still don't have access to the Pixelmon sash, there are a couple of reasons this may be the case:
- Make sure your Minecraft and Pixelmon forum accounts are linked. If you are unsure of how to do this, follow these instructions.
- Use the
/redeemcommand to attempt to refresh your account status. If you are on a server that prevents the command from being used, go onto a singleplayer world to use the command.
- Servers may take some time to refresh the player statuses. If you can see your sash on a singleplayer world but not on a server, you will have to wait until the server refreshes player statuses to see your sash on that server.
If you don't have donator status after waiting for more than a few minutes, or if you have donator status and the above instructions did not resolve the issue, post a support ticket here.
How do I attach log files or text files to a bug or support ticket?
Currently, you are not able to attach these files to tickets on the Pixelmon forums. As an alternative, you can post the contents of the files on Pastebin and link the resulting paste in your ticket.
There is another Pixelmon wiki on Wikia. What is this?
Wikia was the former location of the Pixelmon wiki; the wiki has since moved into Pixelmon's own domain. However, the Wikia staff refused to close the old version of the wiki. As a result, an old Pixelmon wiki remains on Wikia, but it is out-of-date and no longer supported by the Pixelmon team. The Wikia wiki should not be used as a reference for Pixelmon.
These questions relate to developing for Pixelmon.
Can I join the Pixelmon team?
The Pixelmon team is currently not accepting applications for new members to the team.
How do I access the Pixelmon source files?
Pixelmon is closed-source, so source files are not available to the public.
Can I develop a sidemod for Pixelmon?
It is possible to reference the Pixelmon JAR to develop a Pixelmon sidemod, but the Pixelmon API is not currently documented because Pixelmon is closed-source. If you wish to ask questions about the Pixelmon API, visit the Pixelmon Discord.
Can I beta test for Pixelmon?
No. Closed beta testing for Pixelmon with selected members of the general player base was attempted in the past, but it did not prove to be useful. However, it is still possible to test Pixelmon by using public release versions and reporting bugs that are encountered.
How do I submit a model for Pixelmon?
If you would like to model a Pokémon, first make sure that the model has not already been worked on by referring to this spreadsheet. Then, follow the guidelines here for making a model suitable for use with Pixelmon. You can post your model for feedback on the corresponding subforum in the Pixelmon modelling forum.