Happiness is a number between 0 and 255 that gauges how friendly a Pokémon is towards its trainer.
Every Pokémon starts with a base happiness, which will change based on certain events:
- Keeping the Pokémon outside of its Poké Ball will cause it to gain happiness every 40 seconds.
- Leveling up the Pokémon will raise happiness.
- Letting the Pokémon faint will lower happiness.
- Using a Pomeg Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Qualot Berry, Hondew Berry, Grepa Berry, or Tamato Berry on a Pokémon will raise happiness.
- Using an HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, or Carbos on a Pokémon will raise happiness.
- Trading the Pokémon will reset its happiness to 70.
- Capturing a Pokémon in a Friend Ball will set its initial happiness to 200 rather than 0.
- Capturing a Pokémon in a Luxury Ball will increase the happiness gained by leveling up.
- Letting the Pokémon hold a Soothe Bell will cause events that raise happiness to increase happiness by a larger amount.
The amount of happiness gained/lost by the above events changes based on the amount of happiness the Pokémon currently has. All happiness gains are increased by 50% (rounded down) with a Soothe Bell
|Outside of Poké Ball||2||2||1|
A happiness of 220 or more upon leveling up is necessary to evolve:
- Budew→Roselia (day)
- Chingling→Chimecho (night)
- Eevee→Espeon (day)
- Eevee→Umbreon (night)
- Eevee→Sylveon (knows Fairy-type move, in Sunflower Plains or Flower Forest biome)
- Riolu→Lucario (day)