Legendary Pokémon are Pokémon that have base stat totals higher than the majority of other Pokémon. They are very difficult to obtain because of their difficulty to locate, high levels, and low catch rates.
The legendary Pokémon currently in Pixelmon include:
- Articuno-Taiga (Frozen Shrine)
- Zapdos-Forest (Static Shrine)
- Moltres-Extreme Hills (Fiery Shrine)
- Mewtwo-Cloning Machine
- Mew-Jungle (Day)
- Kyogre-Ocean (Night)
- Groudon-Desert Hills (Day)
- Rayquaza-Plains (Dusk)
Mew, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza have a 1 in 15000 chance to spawn by default. A message will be broadcast when one of them spawns. It is possible for more than one of each legendary to spawn in a world.
Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres spawn when a fully-charged orb that matches their type (Orb of Frozen Souls, Orb of Static Souls, Orb of Fiery Souls) is placed in their shrine. Each type of shrine spawns very rarely in a specific biome. An orb can be charged by having it in the player's inventory while defeating 375 Pokémon; these Pokémon do not have to match the orb's type.
Mewtwo can be obtained by successfully cloning a Mew in a Cloning Machine.
The following settings related to Legendary Pokémon can be changed in the Pixelmon config file:
- Whether or not a message appears when a legendary spawns ("Display global message on legendary spawn")
- The rarity of naturally spawning legendaries ("Legendary Spawn Rate")
- Whether or not shrines spawn ("Spawn Bird Shrines")
- Legendary Pokémon are normally genderless, but all legendary Pokémon in Pixelmon are female, as a genderless "gender" has not yet been implemented.