An NPC editor is an item that is used to create and edit various types of NPCs (NPC Trainers, traders, chatting NPCs, move relearners, and move tutors). Its inventory sprite resembles Minecraft's Steve.
When used on the ground, it will present a choice of which type of NPC to create. When used on an existing NPC (except for a move relearner), it will open a GUI where the NPC can be edited or deleted. NPC editors can only be used by players in Creative mode.
On a Sponge server with a permissions plugin, the "pixelmon.npceditor.use" permission node is required to use an NPC editor.
With an NPC editor, NPC Trainers can be customized in the following ways:
- Trainer name
- Greeting/win/lose message
- Party Pokémon (Pokémon, levels, moves, Shininess, gender, nickname, growth, Abilities, Natures, held items, EVs, and IVs. Party can also be reset or randomized)
- Battle AI mode
- Default: The Trainer will use the battle AI setting for naturally spawning Trainer's as defined in the "battleAITrainer" config setting.
- Random: The Trainer will use moves randomly.
- Aggressive: The Trainer will use the move that deals the most damage to the opponent, avoiding status moves.
- Tactical: The Trainer will know how to use status moves alongside offensive moves.
- Advanced: Along with knowing how to use moves like tactical AI, the Trainer will switch out Pokémon if advantageous.
- Movement AI mode
- Stand still: The Trainer will not move from its current position. It can be challenged by throwing a Pokémon at it.
- Still and engage: The Trainer will not move from its current position. It will challenge players that cross its line of sight.
- Wander: The Trainer will wander around randomly. It can be challenged by throwing a Pokémon at it.
- Wander and engage: The Trainer will wander around randomly. It will challenge players that cross its line of sight.
- Boss mode (Level scaling)
- Not boss: The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will remain constant and can be specified when editing the Trainer's Pokémon.
- Equal: The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will be set to the level of the challenging player's highest leveled Pokémon.
- Uncommon (Green boss): The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will be set to 5 levels above the highest leveled Pokémon in the challenging player's party.
- Rare (Blue boss): The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will be set to 10 levels above the highest leveled Pokémon in the challenging player's party.
- Legendary (Red boss): The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will be set to 20 levels above the highest leveled Pokémon in the challenging player's party.
- Ultimate (Yellow boss): The levels of the Trainer's Pokémon will be set to 40 levels above the highest leveled Pokémon in the challenging player's party.
- Encounter mode
- Once: The Trainer will disappear after battling a player.
- Once per player: Each player can only battle the Trainer once.
- Once per Minecraft day: Each player can only battle the trainer once every Minecraft day.
- Once per day: Each player can only battle the Trainer once every real day.
- Unlimited: The Trainer can be challenged an unlimited number of times by each player.
- Drops (by name or by item ID)
- PokéDollar winnings (multiplied by the average level of the Trainer's Pokémon)
- Trainer type/skin
Main Trainer editor interface
Traders can be customized in the following ways:
- Requested Pokémon
- Offered Pokémon
It is also possible to randomize the Pokémon that are offered and requested by the trader.
A chatting NPC can be customized in the following ways:
- Dialogue (up to four lines)
Unlike other NPCs, using an NPC editor on a move relearner does not open up an editing GUI. Instead, using an NPC editor on a move relearner is the only way to use a move relearner normally while in Creative mode. Details about how to edit a move relearner's cost can be found on its page.
A move tutor can be customized in the following ways:
- Costs to teach moves
Doctors can be spawned with an NPC editor, but they cannot be customized. They can be despawned by left-clicking them with the NPC editor.
Shopkeepers may be spawned, edited, and despawned with an NPC editor. The shopkeeper type, name, and model can be edited from this interface. The "Refresh Items" button can be used to reload a shopkeeper's stock after changing its type; otherwise, the stock will not change until the beginning of a new Minecraft day.
In order to edit shopkeepers further (e.g., the items they stock), their JSON files must be edited; details about doing this can be found here.
- "pixelmon.npceditor.use": Allows a player to use an NPC editor.
The skins of Trainers, traders, and tutors can be customized to be multiple built-in skins. External skins can also be used by selecting the "Steve" option, causing a second button to appear with more customization options.
- "Custom_RP" allows a skin to be selected from a currently used resource pack; the skin must be located inside the resource pack at assets/pixelmon/textures/steve. ".png" should not be included in this setting. It is also possible to access any built-in NPC skin, including those that are not normally used by NPC Trainers.
- "Custom_PN" allows any player's skin to be used as the Trainer's skin. The chosen player does not need to be on the server to use the skin.
- Pixelmon also includes five default custom skins (prisoner, Santa, Scottish, Steve, suit) that are not attributed to any particular Trainer class.
All of the skins below are labeled by their in-game names, with their file names (used in places such as the Custom_RP setting, resource packs, and external JSON files) in parentheses.
Chatting NPCs have customizable skins, but the possible skins to choose from are different from other NPCs.
Certain Gyms have Gym Leaders with special skins that are not encountered by default on any other NPCs.
Electric Gym Leader (electricleader1)
Fire Gym Leader (fireleader2)
Flying Gym Leader 1 (flyingleader1)
Flying Gym Leader 2 (flyingleader2)
Grass/Bug Gym Leader (grassbugleader1)
Ice Gym Leader 1 (iceleader1)
Ice Gym Leader 2 (iceleader2)
Psychic Gym Leader (psychicleader1)
Rock Gym Leader (rockleader1)
Steel Gym Leader (steelleader1)
Water Gym Leader 1 (waterleader1)
Water Gym Leader 2 (waterleader2)
These skins are not used by any NPCs by default, but are accessible by file name using one of the aforementioned methods.